Salkantay trek Machu Picchu
- STARTING POINT: Cusco at the hotel
- ENDING POINT: Cusco at the hotel
- DURATION: 4 days 3 nights
- TRIP STYLE: Active
- ACTIVITIES: Archaeological, Cultural, Ecological, Hiking and Camping
- LOCATION: The SALKANTAY TREK begins 3.5 hours’ drive west of Cusco, Peru. We pass the village of MOLLEPATA and begin hiking at CHALLACANCHA.
- LEVEL DIFFICULT: If you are not terribly fit/hardy we suggest looking at the 5 day SALKANTAY TREK as the hours of walking each day are shorter.
- DEPARTURE DATES: any day with two people. We offer affordably priced tours for 2 people so that you can depart when it suits you NOT RECOMMENDED in December, January or February (weather conditions).
- ACCLIMATISATION: Minimum 2 days at altitude recommended.
- ADVENTURE RATING: Given the new restrictions on the Inca trail, Salkantay is the second most popular hike in the region and some of the campsites are less remote than on other trails.
- MODALITY: Trekking, Archaeological and Cultural
- INCA TRAIL ALTERNATIVE: Yes, the Salkantay trek is an excellent option.
- DEPARTURE DATES: Daily departures – all private service departure dates are adapted to your request
Salkantay trek Machu Picchu the amazing Salkantay trek to Machupicchu is one of the famous treks in Cusco and the best alternative route to get to Machu Picchu. It is takes you through different types of landscapes from the typical Andean landscape up to the snowcapped mountains and down to the tropical forests and finally gets you into the jungle. If you are thinking to do a hiking trip to Machupicchu and you want to be off of the beaten path and be in touch with the nature; Salkantay trek is the best option.
Hiking 75 kilometers = 46 miles and reaching the famous Apacheta (mountain offerings) pass 4621masl = 15160ft which is the highest point of the Salkantay trek:
enjoying the amazing view during the hike from Mollepata town to Soraypampa base camp at knee of the Humantay mountain. Then to go up to the highest point to enjoy the view of outstanding snow-capped Salkantay mount. This was one of the most important Apus in the Inca period! Then you are going dawn to Chaullay through the beautiful scenery and then go to Santa Teresa to jump into the natural and medicinal hot spring. And finally we reach to Aguas Calientes town for overnight in the hotel and the last day of your adventure you will get up too early
to be the firsts ones up in Machu Picchu and enjoy the sunrise.
TRIP ITINERARY DAY BY DAY:
DAY 1: CUSCO – MOLLEPATA – CHALLACANCHA – SORAYPAMPA
- MEALS: Lunch, Dinner
- ACCOMMODATION: Camping
- MAXIMUM ALTITUDE: 3850 masl
- MINIMUM ALTITUDE: 2850 masl
- HIKING DISTANCE: 12 km approx.
- HIKING TIME: 6 to 7 hours
- PICK UP TIME: 5:00 am from the hotel where you staying in cusco
- BUS RIDE: 3 hours to the trail head from cusco
- BREAKFAST STOP: 1 hour in Mollepata
- LUNCH TIME: 1:30 pm approximately in SORAYPAMPA (first campsite)
- TEA TIME: 5:30 pm approximately in SORAYPAMPA
- DINNER TIME: 7:00 pm approximately in SORAYPAMPA
- BED TIME: 8:30 pm / overnight in the tents in SORAYPAMPA
We start to pick up you from the hotel around 05:00 am, the bus driving taking 4 hours to Anta – Mollepata through the bus is clearly to see the white snowcapped mountain like Salkantay and Humantay the holy Gods of the Incas, the spectacular scenic on the upper part and lower valleys with colorful landscape. Two hours driving at head the first stop in Mollepata town there are toilet facilities, souvenirs and optional short breakfast, to soon continue at Challacancha the trail head. There we will meet with our support staff. There we will organize all the equipment, horses and mules. Around 9:30 a.m. we will star our trek to Soraypampa (3900 m.a.s.l) the first section of the path are paved rock trail there are the old water
channel still supply to new habitants, the begin is 9 km in 3 hours to Soraypampa the lunch place as well base camp, after lunch and nap to continued hiking up to the Humantay lake (4200masl) 5 km in 3 hours round trip, bottom the glacier the most spectacular views to the back ground valley and sunset, Soraypampa is located on the middle of the glaciers valleys at night clear appreciate the constellation on the sky.
DAY 2: SORAYPAMPA – SALKANTAY PASS – HUAYRAMACHAY – CHAULLAY
- MEALS: Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner
- ACCOMMODATION: Camping
- MAXIMUM ALTITUDE: 4650 masl
- MINIMUM ALTITUDE: 2900 masl
- HIKING DISTANCE: 22km to Chaullay
- HIKING TIME: 8 to 9 hours
- WAKE UP TIME: 5:00 am (with coca tea)
- BREAKFAST TIME: 5:45 am (enjoy a nutritious breakfast)
- DEPARTURE TIME: 6:30 am (we start hiking from the campsite)
- UPHILL HIKING DISTANCE: 7 km takes 3.5 hours approximately
- DOWNHILL HIKING DISTANCE: 15 km takes 5 hours approximately
- LUNCH TIME: 1:00 PM in WAYRACMACHAY
- TEA TIME: 6:00 pm in CHAWLLAY
- DINNER TIME: 7:00 pm in CHAWLLAY
- BED TIME: 8:30 pm / overnight in the tents
Early wake up with the first daylight at 05:00 am to packing the staff, breakfast and soon to start hiking up to the highest point of the trail Salkantay Pass (4650 masl –
15,255 ft) the distance is 7 km in 3 hours, on the ascent through the between the rocky valley bottom the magnificent Salkantay Mountay (6200 masl – 20,341 ft). We reach the top of the trek. We will appreciate spectacular views of the mountains and the imposing snowy peaks of the Salkantay, humantay, Tucarhuay and Pumasillo, Salkantay is considerate the second highest mountain of the Cusco region and one of the Incas God called “Apu”. Get the top is the most ancient time on the trek, 2 hours downhill on the serpent trail and gravel rocky path to get Huayracmachay lunch spot, on the afternoon entrance to the upper part of the
amazone jungle as well called “cloud forest” 9 km in 3 hours on the wide trail in the thick forest are decorate the hills with colorful sceneries and the wild life and native plant, mostly of the year weather is warmed and temperate to finally arrived to Chaullay Village (2900 masl – 9,514 ft) the base camp into the jungle.
DAY 3: CHAULLAY – LA PLAYA – SANTA TERESA – HYDROELECTRIC – AGUAS CALIENTES
- MEALS: Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner
- ACCOMMODATION: hotel in AGUAS CALIENTES town
- MAXIMUM ALTITUDE: 2900 masl
- MINIMUM ALTITUDE: 1600 masl
- HIKING DISTANCE: 26 km from CHAWLLAY to AGUAS CALIENTES
- HIKING TIME: 8 to 9 hours
- WAKE UP TIME: 6:00 am (with coca tea)
- BREAKFAST TIME: 6:45 am (enjoy a nutritious breakfast)
- DEPARTURE TIME: 7:30 am (we start hiking from the campsite)
- LUNCH TIME: 1:30 PM in LA PLAYA SAHUAYACO
- BUS RIDE: 1.5 hour (from LA PLAYA SAHUAYACO to HIDROELECTRICA)
- DINNER TIME: 7:00 pm in the restaurant in AGUAS CALIENTES town
- BED TIME: 8:30 pm / overnight in the tents (last night in the tents)
Around 6:00 am; we will start our trek to La Playa through the Santa Teresa valley. We will hike 6 hours approximately during the hike will see: water fall, orchids, coffee, banana, avocado plantations and we will taste the famous passion fruit or granadilla and also we will see a village call COLPAPAMPA also call the “forest cloudy brow” where waterfalls, thermal hot springs, fruit-bearing trees, varied flora, and birds can be observed. If we are lucky, we will be able to see the famous bird called “the Cock of the Rocks”. After lunch at La playa, we will catch a local transportation to HIDROELECTRICA train station. Here we have two options if you are exhausted you may take a train to AGUAS CALIENTES. Or you may walk from HIDROELECTRICA to AGUAS CALIENTES town about 3 hours along the train track. Once in AGUAS CALIENTES town; we are going to the accommodation which is included in the tour then by 7:00 we will have dinner at the local restaurant. This is cover by the company. Meals: Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner Overnight: in AGUAS CALIENTES at the hotel which included in the package.
DAY 4: AGUAS CALIENTES – MACHU PICCHU – OLLANTAYTAMBO – CUSCO
- MEALS: Breakfast,
- WAKE UP TIME: 4:00 am at the hotel in AGUAS CALIENTES
- BREAKFAST TIME: 4:30 am at your hotel
- BUS RIDE: 25 minutes from AGUAS CALIENTES to MACHU PICCHU
- GUIDED TOUR: 2 to 2.5 hours in MACHU PICCHU complex
- HUAYNAPICCHU MOUNTAIN: 2.5 hours hiking round trip
- MACHUPICCHU MOUNTAIN: 3.5 hours hiking round trip
- BUS RIDE: 25 minutes from MACHUPICCHU to AGUAS CALIETES
- TRAIN RIDE: 1:45 hours from AGUAS CALIETES to OLLANTAYTAMBO
- BUS RIDE: 1:30 hours from OLLANTAYTAMBO to the hotel IN CUSCO
The ancient day on the Trek, early wake up on the hotel is better for visit Machupicchu, We suggestion start early visit Machupicchu the check point is open from (6:00 am until 17:00 pm) optional going up by bus or foot, on the morning look empty the city with less tourist the first 2 hours guiding tour in the City, (temples, palaces, priest house, sundial, industrial sector and farming fields) after that is start your free time to climbing up to Huaynapicchu or Machupicchu mountain (book in advance to get your ticket) both mountains hiking time taking
3 hours approx. or trekking to the sun gate the main entrance of the Inka Trail, therefore you’ll stay and enjoy the city for more than 7 hours on the afternoon We organized the train (18:30 pm) back form Aguas calientes to Ollantaytambo and then bus driving to Cusco to arrive at 20:00 pm approx. the bus drops you off at
your hotel in Cusco.
SALKANTAY TREK INCLUSIONS
- Pre-departure briefing: You will meet your guide and group in our office, for an orientation meeting at 7:00 PM the evening before the trip begins.
- Transport: Collection from your hotel in the morning and transfer in private transportation to Challacancha (starting point of the trek).
- English speaking professional and official tourist guide: (
- Personal tents: 2 people in each 4-people-capacity tent, to allow for higher comfort and a safe keeping of backpacks. Our tents are 3-season, highly
- maintained to ensure an excellent performance in field. Kailas, Pro aconcagua and REI 4 Outfitter tents are employed when double accommodation is requested.
- Camping equipment: Dining and kitchen tents, tables, chairs.
- Inside the tents: Sleeping pad or matrasses, pillow and extra blanket
- Entrance fee: Ticket to Machupicchu
- Accommodation: 2 nights in tent and 1 night in hostel Aguas Calientes
- Cargo Mules: to carry the all camping equipment and your personal baggage
- (7 kilos).
- Pack animals (to carry tents, food and cooking equipment)
- person (including sleeping pad and sleeping bag)
- Cook: In charge to prepared all the meals along the journey, over 6 people cook assistant
- Meals: 3 Breakfasts, 3 Lunches, 3 dinners and Snacks
- Meals description: Pancakes, omelets, soups, fresh fruit, avocado, pasta, chicken, fish, meat, rice, all rich in carbohydrates and suitable for trekking, hot drinks including coca leaf tea which is excellent for the altitude
- Wake up tea: Every morning at the campsite we will wake you up with a cup
- of coca tea our support staff will bring the coca tea to your tent in order to wake you up.
- Tea time: Every afternoon 1 hour before dinner the cooks will let on the
- dining table pop-corn, biscuits, coffee, chocolate, different type of teas, hot water, etc. this is because after a day of hiking many are hungry and it is a bit annoying to wait till dinner that why we provide tea time.
- Daily snacks – Days 1, 2 and 3: Our Snacks consist of local fruits, biscuits, chocolate, Caramels we will give this snack at the beginning of each day trek in a cloth bag to avoid environmental contamination.
- One sleeping pad per person
- Hotel: 1 night accommodation in Aguas Calientes
- Safety staff: Our crew bring the First-aid kit including emergency oxygen bottle
- Train tickets: From Aguas Calientes to Ollantaytambo (expedition service)
- Transport: Transfer from Ollantaytambo Train Station to hotel in Cusco(Day
- Transport: Collective Bus from la playa to Santa Teresa or Hydroelectric
- 24-h guest service: please ask for the emergency number available during your time of visit
SALKANTAY TREK EXCLUSIONS
- Personal trekking gear.
- Lunch and dinner on the last day after the guided tour at Machu Picchu
- Walking Sticks
- Sleeping bags (you can hire from our company), our sleeping bags are -18ºC- comfort (0ºF), mummy form They are cleaned after every use and have a maximum usage of 30 trips
PACKING LIST FOR THE SALKANTAY TREK
- One sleeping bag per person: our sleeping bags are -18ºC-comfort (0ºF), mummy form and include a sleeping liner. They are cleaned after every use and have a maximum usage of 30 trips, can also be hired in our office for US$25.
- One pillow per person
- Well worn-in waterproof walking boots: Good quality, comfortable footwear is essential. Whatever you wear on your feet the most important thing is comfort. It is vital to ensure your boots are well worn in and lightweight.
- Waterproof clothing: A plastic poncho is recommended and can be
- purchased easily for approximately USD 2.
- A plastic bag to keep clean and dry your staff in your bag pack and duffle bag.
- A backpack with a change of clothes for the whole period of the trek
- Rain gear (jacket and pants if available) or rain poncho (plastic ponchos can be purchased in Cusco)
- Strong footwear, waterproof trekking boots recommended
- Sandals or jogging shoes for a higher comfort while at camp
- Warm clothes, including jacket, Thermal clothing is also recommended, especially for sleeping
- Light wear (t-shirt, short pants) to hike on the jungle
- Flashlight/headlamp and batteries
- Camera, films and batteries (batteries consume more quickly under cold conditions) near please to charge the battery with electricity is the 3er day afternoon on the camp site.
- Hat or cap to protect you from the sun, rain and cold
- Sun block
- Insect repellent – minimum recommended 20% DEET – no malaria risk has been reported
- Toilet paper
- Snacks: biscuits, energy bars, chocolate, raw fruits, muesli, etc. Please note that we do provide a daily morning snack and our meal service is very complete and well supplied. This recommendation applies for all clients being used to a specific snack, as it may happen that it is not included in our selection
- Water container and water for the first morning. Important notice: plastic water bottles are no longer allowed into Machu Picchu. Plastic water containers or metal ones are recommended
- Optionally: water- sterilizing tablets in case you pick up water from streams or rivers along the route. Otherwise, we provide filtered boiled water, which is safe to drink and has not reported any health problem so far
- Small towel
- Swimsuit (if you wish to go to the hot springs in AGUAS CALIENTES)
- Cash in soles
- Optional: walking sticks or poles (rubber covers required in order not to damage archaeological sites)
DOCUMENTS TO CARRY WITH YOU
- Original Passports
- Salkantay Trek Map(Will be provide in the briefing day)
- Original International Student Identity Card (in case you have applied for a student discount)
- We can hire the following to you:
- Extra mule to carry YOUR things IF you are considering to bring more than 7 kilos of personal belongings such as (photography equipment; or YOU just want to walk without anything) for 3 days
- PRICE: S/. 90 SOLES
- Extra riding mule and muleteer to lead it for 3 days.
- PRICE: USD S/. 150 SOLES
- Sleeping Bag suitable for – 10deg
- PRICE: USD 10 DOLLARS
- Walking stick lightweight aluminum – Two sticks are recommended for tough hikes.
- PRICE: USD 10 DOLLARS
- Single tent supplement (if you don’t want to share a tent)
- PRICE: USD 10 DOLLARS
OPTIONAL EXTRAS THAT YOU CAN HIRE ON THE SALKANTAY TRAIL
- Extra riding HORSE from SORAYPAMPA (first campsite) to the highest point of the whole SALKANTAY TREK 3 hours uphill horseback riding
- PRICE: S/. 100 SOLES
- Hot shower at the second campsite 10 minutes of hot shower
- PRICE: S/. 10 SOLES
- extra transportations from the third campsite to the hot springs (round trip)
- PRICE: S/. 10 SOLES
- entrance fee to the hot springs
- PRICE: S/. 5 SOLES
- Santa Teresa ZIPLINE: you have the chance to do the highest and longest ZIPLINE in South America After doing the ZIPLINE in the morning YOU will take transport to Hydroelectric from there hiking 3 hours to AGUAS CALIENTES on day 4.
- PRICE: USD 20 DOLLARS
- Train expeditions from HIDROELECTRICA to AGUAS CALIENTES (2:50 pm or
- 4:35 pm) when you do 4 days SALKANTAY TREK you hike in the morning 16 km which is takes 6 hours then lunch after lunch car driving to HIDROELECTRICA 1.5 hours then hiking to AGUAS CALIENTES 3 hours if you are tired YOU CAN TAKE TRAIN from HIDROELECTRIC to AGUAS CALIENTES
- 45 minutes by TRAIN.
- PRICE: USD 29 DOLLARS